Saturday, October 13, 2007

Sunflower

[Click to Enlarge Photos]

another gift, this time for Paige. It's her birthday.

i decided to to a sunflower for her because she loves them. Hopefully this will look nice in her kitchen.

So, here's the play by play:

Started out with a sketch


My first move was to paint the petals and the centre with a wash of Lemon Yellow
then i went in with a few darker yellows and added some shadows to give the petals shape.

i added layers of yellow ochre and mixed with browns into the centre then i added a bit of backround trying out the wet-in-wet techniques. not too shabby.
i kinda liked i like this, with the white in the back, but it seemed unfinished...


and then i added the dark background and the flower seemed to POP


the last step was to do an ink outline. et Voila! c'est fini!!
Happy Birthday Paige!!


"sunflower" watercolour and ink 5" x 7"
a gift for Paige.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful! When is Paige's birthday? Email me, please!!! I know she will love it - she was jealous of mine!

Melsie14 said...

It turned out awesome!! It was neat seeing it before you were finished and then seeing the end product!! Excellent job!

Real Live Lesbian said...

Gorgeous!!!! And I'm jealous of this Paige!

Amey said...

Even without the ink outline, only one word...

Wow!

kate said...

Your sunflower turned out great. I like your background. It really adds!

'Tea for Two' is cute ... those damn washes. You done good.

Oh and I am totally envious of the booties you knit. I can only knit scarves - knitting patterns freak me out. I don't know how to get over that.

Keep on painting...